Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Ingrained Racism in Sports

Athleticism is a venue for all sorts of social, cultural, and biological ideas. The bodies of athletes are viewed in such a way that perceptions on what a person’s body does transcends into a completely different view. The body is no longer a body but rather is concept that has thoughts and ignorance perpetrated against it.
“The Natural Athlete” places a direct light on the racialization of bodies in sports. In particular, when the parts of the body that actually make an individual fast like their muscle fibers and lung capacity are not the end of the argument of who is the fastest or most athletic but rather what social sphere the body that has these physical features does anyone particularly care or notice. The debate is never on how an individual’s muscles are working to allow them to win a race but rather its their race that allows them to win the race.
The way sports are established, the observers look at race as an explanation for performance. In the reading, “The Natural Athlete” St. Louis describes how as a sport moves away from physicality as the necessity to be successful, sports that require to technique brings the idea that being able to perform physically is a trait that is primal. Moving the conversation into another realm that almost sounds like something different is being played. This is the racializing of bodies and isolating them, in this case athletes of west African descent to be examined under a different lens. The world of sports echoes with racism on multiple levels. Those that are the players and those that are the owners of the sports are on two sides of race that plays into the dysfunction.


The above link goes to a website that has a slideshow of football players being measured and weighed. I saw these images paired with a drawing of Black men from the TransAtlantic slave trade as the people are also examined similarly to how the athletes are. The idea that Black men are used in such a way was terribly similar. This is relevant to how St Louis describes how Black men in sports are outed as primitive, the same way Colonialist treated Black people.  

Another point brought up is how the focus falls on Black men rather than all Black people. The article mentions that Black women are not seen as the most athletic since the statistics does not show them under the same spot light.
Coakley brings out some ideas on the topic of women in sports as well. Specifically how privilege plays into the bodies that are exposed to sports in life. A difference between men and women before reaching the physique to participate in high level sporting events is the preparation to be able to play beside those that can. What I mean is how men and women have different cultural expectations and social restrictions that affect their ability to pursue sports competitively. A lack of resources (equipment, transportation, money, free of fear) is a reality for not seeing as many women in sports as men. The possibility to achieve at sports is across the board for anyone who is unable to have the means to pursue it.

Considering all the exposure that we have received in the course, what other readings fit into St. Louis’ argument?

6 comments:

  1. I wish I had a personal experience in athletics where race became a central issue (I am not athletic at all). The issue of race seems to pervade all aspects of society, but I think it can be quite covert in the realm of sports. All athletic achievements by a person of color are automatically attributed to their race, as if it is somehow expected or within nature's limits to be one of the best basketball players in the world. On the other hand, any shortcomings are also attributed to race, but in a much more profound way. In a society where we preach that sports can be a force drawing people from different backgrounds together, sports also can be one of the more race centric aspects of society. To answer your question, I think the reading from Messner may fit with St. Louis, as both discuss how race and sports are connected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your statement regarding the idea that sport achievements are automatically percieved as a result from what ones "race" has allowed them to achieve. I do not think it is a fair way for society to look at athletes achievements. Each athlete works just as hard as the next and their skin color does not give them any advantage or disadvantage. I was shocked how in the reading "Breaking the Taboo on Race and Sports" that a black athlete had admitted to this idea that blacks are better at some sports and therefore it is easier for them. If I were a black athlete I would want to be rewarded for my hard work and dedication, not the color of my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up running track. There were three high schools in my town, the first was predominately white and upperclass, the second (which I belonged to) was middle and working class and composed of mostly minorities but very few black students, and the third was mostly working class and the majority of the students there were black. At our races the Black Men always won, the priviledged white men always came second, and those from my school were always last. As far as the girl races went, the white upper-class women always won, followed by the black some, and lastly - my school. You mention that athletic ability is not as strong in black women, which is also what my anecdote portrays. Is this due to something genetic? It may even be because at a young age many girls are placed into gymnastics or figure skating because they are seen as the "girl sports". These sports are very expensive to become involved in. Those sports which require little money aren't very lady-like, and might be why many black or underprivileged women don't participate in sports until they are offered for free at school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billy, I agree with your argument that when the person is of African American descent that their athletic achievements are attributed to their race not to the parts of their body that make them capable to be fast. When I was in high school our school didn't have any African American students but when I was in track and we would have meets with the other schools, those larger schools had African American students and usually we would see them as our greatest competition. Typically in the men's races the black guys would win except for the one really fast guy that we had on our team (he just got drafted by the Packers). I would disagree with this article about the African American females, because typically they would also win. My experience may be different from most everyone else's because I went to a small underprivileged school in northern Michigan, so the larger schools which had African American students were actually higher privileged schools and could spend more money on sports, coaches, and training. So it was the reverse where I am from and we had to rely on our "natural" ability. I was told that I was a fast runner because I have "runner's thighs" and no chest so that apparently made me fast. So my ability was attributed to the parts of my body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my opinion, I completely disagree with the idea that all athletes have to work just as hard as one another to achieve success. Race, gender, whatever, some people have faster metabolisms, can develop a muscular built quickly, and in general can out-perform most people. Money definitely has an influence on how good an athlete is, but sometimes someone's "nature" built will prevent them from being a successful athlete even if they work the hardest. I believe that the overwhelming number of blacks in football and basketball can be boiled down to socio-economical means, natural ability, and dedication. To say that all athletes have to work just as hard as one another is a flawed idea in my opinion. However, I do also believe that society has created a self-fulfilling prophecy with regards to black athletes being superior. Especially in track, some very fast white runners will mentally tell themselves that blacks racing against them are faster even before they start the race. Therefore, disadvantaging the white running right from the start. So as a whole, I think that blacks are superior at sports due to natural athletic ability and because society has made this self-fulfilling prophecy.

    ReplyDelete