Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Members Only


            Last year, while watching the Winter Olympics I could not help but wonder how so many of these individuals got started in these obscure sports. To achieve the Olympic level of athleticism requires training from early childhood. Yet, I found it hard to imagine that many nine year olds want to be curlers or participate in the biathlon. It occurred to me that not only would these children require their parents to push them towards a certain sport but that they would also need substantial funds in order to become skilled in that sport. This is a luxury only afforded by a few. The relationship between social class and sports seemed to be very evident in the Winter Olympics. Coakley states “training at the elite level requires considerable resources” (2008). We can view sports as a reflection of the social class inequality occurring in the United States.
            Sports become something of a symbol of each social class. Sports that do not require much equipment or funds to participate become the staple of the lower classes. Obviously, basketball is the prime example. Middle class sports may require some more time and money than sports like basketball. This may include sports such as hockey and travel soccer. The high-class sports are what interest me the most. Coakley gives us a list, which includes golf, swimming, sailing, tennis, and skiing. I find it fascinating that these are the sports that have become the symbols of high-class society.  These sporting activities require some sense of exclusivity and achieved membership. Growing up in an area that treasures these sports gave me an interesting outlook on the whole issue of class and sport. Each sport had its own private club to go with it. I remember going to country clubs with friends of mine who were members and feeling unwelcomed. There was multiple times where I was told that I was not allowed to wear blue jeans on the premises. At places such as these where membership and exclusivity are highly valued the body becomes something of a key to let you in and let others know you belong. I was not well versed in how to properly use my body in this social environment therefore I always felt out of place; like they all new I was not actually a member.
            I can think back to one time where I went to the sailing club with a friend’s family who were members there. At the time, they were taking care of a black Haitian child who was in the US for surgery. We sat down for dinner at the club’s restaurant. Not even halfway through our meal, one of the waiters explained to us that an elderly couple sitting near by has requested that the child be removed from the club. Obviously, we did not leave and returned to eating our meal in spite of the most overt racism I have ever witnessed. Thinking about this situation again puts it into a new perspective. Their request reflects their perception that a black child could not be a member of the club but also that he would never be able to be a part of their social class. The club is meant to be a barrier to the “outsiders”. It functions as active symbol to distinguish those who are the elites of society and those who are underneath them. In the minds of the elderly members, that distinction was at risk of becoming blurry which is not something they would like to allow. Sports can be seen as an active reflection of social class inequality. The body continues to be a distinguishing mark in who should be playing what sport and who should belong to certain clubs.

6 comments:

  1. I thought you really did well in bringing in examples from your own life. It really helps to understand better the concepts the authors are trying to explain. It is very true that in many sports financial resources are a necessity in order to participate, and in many cases perform at a high level. I know a family from high school in which all three of the boys in the family went on to be kickers for college football teams. They had athletic bodies and were good athletes all around, but they had the resources to attend camps and training sessions. Their dad started them at a young age, and was able to invest the time and money into them in order for them to develop their skills. It is another example of the social class inequality apparent in many sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that with most sports financial resources are a necessity in order to participate and maybe even excel at it. I come from a very small high school outside of Detroit and only 2 football players had made it to the collegiate level after high school. With that said these 2 males had access to funds that allowed them to attend different camps like Michigan's football camp and other big ten schools. They also started at a young age and excelled throughout their career because they were able to afford to get more help and practice. I agree with Lucas that sports are an example of social class. I also agree with Jack that most sports don't really require much equipment, just skills and guidance, but in order to get the best guidance you have to be able to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many sports due reflect thge social class a perosn is in. I agree the higher class sprots would be hockey or soccer. The statement saying these are higher class sports because of the money needed to play these sports is correct. Lower income children only play in the local teams around their neighborhood and the sports are either basketball, football or baseball. They can't play on the travel teeams becuase of the funds needed to travel. I know alot of the kids from my neighborhood didn't have money along with me so we all played on the same little league sports teams. We didn't have the opportunity to play travel sports teams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is very common to think of sports as something you were "born" with and that everyone who has the natural talent will be included into the sporting society. However, we know this is not the case. Many sports require certain attributes that can only be attained if you are in a certain social class or race, as you mentioned in your post. Even if you have the ability to become one of the best golfers in the world, if you are born into a family of low socioeconomic status, then even touching a golf club is out of the question. I think that it is very important to critically think about why certain athletes are great at which sports they do. The fact that there are almost no black hockey players because of systematic layers of oppression in economic and social fields has been made into a joke by white hockey fans everywhere. It is not that black bodied people are physically unable to play hockey, it is that they are often times unable to play it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you did a good job writing this post and relating your experience to Coakley's article. I agree with you that certain sports represent the level of social class for those individuals who play that sport; however, I don't think it is entirely unequal to others in society. Like when you mentioned not being able to wear blue jeans at the Country Club. There are certain standards held by the individuals who participate in these clubs and I don't see that as a problem. In Lucas' comment he talks about how these kickers went on to pay college football because their dad could afford camps and extra training. Well how about the hundreds of kids every year who go on to play college football that come from poverty stricken neighborhoods and have parents who can't afford camps? I do not believe it takes money to an be elite athlete. Yes, it definitely helps and makes the path a lot smoother, but I do not believe it is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely support the belief that sports highlight different economic backgrounds with players and teams. Kate does a great job at summarizing that point perfectly in that a child born into a lower socioeconomic family will lack the resources to be be capable of playing and understanding sports that are exclusive to those in higher economic echelons. I would posit nearly all sports starting in middle school and above begin to display an economic disparity between the students who can play and those who cannot. Purchasing the necessary equipment and the travel a parent has to participate in is financially difficult and as one moves up the sports "atmosphere" the more resources it takes to become the "top dog" in that particular sport. I would go further and credit an economic system that enables this kind of wealth disparity and perpetuates the disparities (highlighted in sports).

    ReplyDelete